Refractions is a 44 minute electro-acoustic chamber piece that expands on my 10 years of exploring the sonic and sculptural possibilities of music boxes. It will be released as an album by Populist Records! Composed for string quartet, electric guitar, and electronically processed music box, Refractions combines ethereal ambient electronics with contemplative acoustic timbres.
I’m thrilled to have collaborated on Refractions with the Isaura String Quartet, guitarist Jeremy Kerner, and Populist Records. The album features artwork by Bay Area artist Joyce Nojima.
Press for Refractions
- Christian Carey: “this slowly evolving piece of music is spellbinding in its execution. Rather than foregrounding the incremental shifts of material, the listener is encouraged to bask in a wash of sounds, varied and lovely timbres that are deployed with enough independence to seem to have minds of their own.”
- Sequenza 21: “The cool ambient tranquility of Refractions is a much needed antidote to the raucous confusion that infests our daily lives; this music works to elegantly recharge us in a moment of restorative calm.”
- National Sawdust Log Journal: “A sublime study in anxious stasis and fleeting repose for string quartet, electric guitar, music box, and digital treatments…”
- Textura: “The music blossoms in the most peaceful of manners… the piece… presents an ever-mutating weave of softly glimmering electronics and fluttering acoustic timbres, and as it advances the impression forms of a spacious, ambient-styled composition that’s rooted in both pre-formed structures and improvisation.”
- MetalJazz: “Open-aired, shivery…”
- Avant Music News: Pick of the week
- The Rest is Noise: Nightafternight playlist of “New and recent releases of interest”
- 24700: “Refractions is a 45-minute electro-acoustic chamber piece that expands on Corral’s 10 years of exploring the sonic and sculptural possibilities of music boxes”
- Talk Classical: “Experimental yet attractive new music”
- Chicago Reader: Today’s Playlist
- Best of 2017 Lists: Bandcamp Daily, Avant Music News (Honorable Mention) National Sawdust, a fool in the forest, Asociacion Intonarumori, Steve Hoffman
Refractions cover artwork by Joyce Nojima